Saturday, June 23, 2007

Alli Diet Pills

Well another diet pill is hitting the market. For those of you who haven't followed the buzz, the next big play maker is called Alli, made by GlaxoSmithKline. The FDA claims that people taking Alli lost 2-3lbs extra per 5lbs of normal weight loss. To me that's huge! Well, a huge mess that is. What's this mess I speak of? Well, Alli blocks 25% of all the fat that people consume. Well where does that fat go you may ask? Needless to say I've already seen a warning by Alli that recommends users of Alli to bring an extra change of clothes just in case there's an "accident." Continuous diarrhea sounds like a blast, literally! This is definitely a user beware. Half of patients in experiments and trials experienced gastrointestinal side effects, listed as "leakages and oily discharges." So taking Alli is a 50/50 crap shoot.

Cost for the full 2 pill dose is about $2 a day. So what is Alli exactly? Just a lower dose version of Xenical (Orlistat). Books are already flooding the market for Alli which include exercise plans, eating plans etc, although the pill is not expected to be released until February 2008.

This pill will be a wonderful tool for those who use it in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise, but I have a gut feeling there will be too many who view this as a magic pill that doesn't require any exercise or healthy eating to go along with it.

Estimated sales for year one are projected at $1.5 Billion. I bet they make a heck of a lot more than that. My money says GlaxoSmithKline runs right to the top of the diet pill market, using some movie star who has lost 10lbs to give his/her stamp of approval.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PMA said...

Obesity, what a terrible word that is, for most of my life I have been heavy, big boned, chubby, solid and even fat. Though the one term, to me that dehumanises the condition of being overweight is obese.

We don’t plan to get fat or obese, it seems to happen all on its own. The result of this problem is lower self esteem and feelings of guilt, which often is the root cause of the problem in the first place.

I found the answer to my weight problem was not diets or exercise programs, it was being a little kinder to myself, understanding that the problem of being over weight was not who I am, it is just a condition that I needed to come to terms with and tackle like I would any other emotional problem.

Once I made this choice, I started to fell better about myself immediately, I started to go for a walk five or six times a week, I now my walk about an hour or so each day. Baby steps to start. Remember “Inch by Inch everything’s a cinch”.

The one thing I do try to focus on is who I am, and picture what I want to become. It works! The new you us not a destination, it is a journey, so you can be a success as soon as you commit to a change. You may fall off the rails occasionally, that’s OK. We are mistake makers, that’s our nature. We are also Mistake Breakers and can rise above anything so long as we never give up.

Take heart, I know how you feel, really I do, you can do it.
awareness-guide.com

Unknown said...

Hello, This is Mary

I am 36 years old with 2 toddlers. My youngest just started day care last week- which still feels a little strange. I haven't had this much time to myself in years. First thing I want to do is lose the extra pounds I put on during the last pregnancy. One of the girls next door has suggested I join her walking group two days a week. After my first pregnancy I lost around 35 pounds using the Herbalife products, but when I called the man that sold them to me three years ago he told me this week he doesn't sell them anymore. He told me to look on the internet. It's disappointing because he was really nice and he called me regularly to make sure I was using their products correctly. It was nice to have someone checking in with me every week to see how I was and it kept me motivated.

I searched on the internet for someone that sells Herbalife in New Jersey. I found many websites but I don't want
just to buy the products, I want to find someone trustworthy that sells the products so I can also meet them and get started again.

Could anybody here recommend someone in New Brunswick?
.

Thanks, Mary

Jarret D. Morrow said...

Hi very interesting and informative post, I recently wrote an article in my dietary supplement updates blog that reviews the science of some popular dietary supplements:

http://jmorrow50.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/supersize-me-or-maybe-not/

Not an Herbalife Distributor said...

Herbalife products are impressive, but distributors need a better way to brand their individual businesses.